Monday, November 30, 2015

Home made Chilli Cheese Sandwich without toaster

Till yesterday, I had never been in kitchen for preparing any food item. Nothing to boast about. However, the fact remains that I was never tempted to prepare any food item. My mom and wife does a brilliant job at that and I had no reason to disturb the ritual.

Yesterday,  I woke up around 8 am and felt like eating cheese sandwich. Somehow, I also wanted to prepare it and then eat it. Yesterday, my mom and my wife realised that miracles still happen. 

Below is the recipe that I followed (quick call to my friend helped). It is ridiculously simple and very effective:
  1. Keep all the below ingredients ready on working platform:
    • Slice bread (brown, if you follow advertisements)
    • Butter
    • Chutney (this was earlier prepared by my mom. If not available, grind some green chillies along with salt and mint (or coriander) 
    • Shimla mirchi (capsicum)
    • Onion
    • Cheese slices
  2. Chop shimla mirchi and onion (very fine pieces). Actually, I wanted to cut it myself. However, my wife said that she wanted to help me. (That was just the reason. I think she was not sure if I could cut mirchi without cutting my fingers and that she would get the breakfast on time). Any ways, my wife chopped it for me.
  3. Mix them together
  4. Take a frying pan and pour some oil in it.
  5. Fry the mixture of shimla mirchi and onion in it for a minute or two. The intention is to make it less than half baked. Onion starts to turn brown. Immediately, take the pan off the gas.
  6. Take one slice of bread.
  7. Apply thin layer of butter on on it (as thin as possible). 
  8. Apply chutney on the buttered bread. The butter helps in application of the chutney. 
  9. Pour the mirchi and onion mixture on the bread slice.
  10. Sprinkle some sandwich masala, chaat masala, salt or pepper
  11. Keep one slice of cheese over it
  12. Now cover this with other slice of bread (chutney can be applied to other slice as well for extra hot)
  13. Keep this sandwich on the (earlier used) frying pan.
  14. Flame should be just more than the minimum setting
  15. Place a steel plate over the sandwich (Pan on top of the gas, sandwich on the pan and steel plate on top of the sandwich)
  16. Keep any heavy object over the steel plate (Since, we do not have toaster, we need some force to press both the slice against each other). We used water filled vessel as weight to keep over the steel plate.
  17. Pour some oil around the sandwich.
  18. Wait for 2-3 minutes.
  19. Remove the weight and steel plate.
  20. Change the side. Now, there is no need for weight and steel plate since cheese is already in melted form and both slices have been pressed firmly against each other.
  21. Wait for another 2 minutes and your cheese chilli sandwich is ready.
  22. The cheese melts on the mirchi/onion batter perfectly. 
  23. I bet, you cannot wait for garnishing and all that. As soon as you remove it from pan, your mouth would be waiting in anticipation. Garnishing does not matter. Serve it with sauce.

Both the ladies liked it. However, the downside is: going forward, they have asked me to prepare breakfast on Sundays.


No comments:

Post a Comment